Fourteen teams entered – and after a very long day of backgammon one walked away with the Tutchings Trophy. Many congratulations to Team UK: Anna Price, Len Brown, Chris Rogers, Peter Christmas and Andy Boysan, who beat the North West (Tim Cross, Mark Calderbank, Chris Derry, Andy Marshall and Rachel Rhodes) 3-2 in a very tense final which could easily have gone either way with a single roll.
Archives for July 2015
Three weeks ago we started looking for a team to represent us at the 2nd European Team Backgammon Championships in Budapest. We could take a maximum of seven players, and there was substantial interest shown, both formal and informal, in representing the UK. This was whittled down to a shortlist of 8, and after a consultation process involving much debate, data analysis and a final gruelling 15pt play off match which went all the way to double-match-point, the final squad of 7 has been selected…
We’re delighted to announce that we have our first two qualifiers for the UK Open, who won their entries at the Blackpool Imperial Cup!
- Jon Barnes wins a UK Open Masters Silver entry – worth £175
- Brian Lever wins a UK Open Masters Bronze entry – worth £100
There is another spot on offer for everyone attending the Liverpool Open at the end of July, courtesy of the Liverpool Backgammon Club. It’s very simple:
- Enter the Liverpool Open!
- Then enter the UK Open Qualifying pool, which costs £5
- If you win the Liverpool Open main tournament outright, you take home a Masters Gold entry worth £325 (including £25 registration).
- Even if you don’t win outright, if you are the highest placed of everyone in the pool, you take home a Masters Silver entry worth £175 (including £25 registration).
A Silver winner will have the option to pay to upgrade to Gold if they wish, when they register at the UK Open. The prize does not include UKBGF membership. If you can’t make the UK Open – we will certainly miss you, but you can transfer the prize to a friend.
Club organisers: bring more players to your tournaments by including a UK Open qualifier! We would like to see qualifiers for the 2015 Open and future years to be held all around the country. Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org and some of your players could be going to the Ricoh for free…