For the 5th UK Open we are returning to Coombe Abbey Hotel, Brinklow Rd, Binley, Warwickshire CV3 2AB.
The date of the 5th UK Open is from Friday 31st August to Sunday 2nd September 2018.
Coombe Abbey Hotel
Situated approximately 6 miles to the east of Coventry city centre and railway station, the magnificent Coombe Abbey was originally a Cistercian abbey dating back to the 12th century and is set in 500 acres of parkland. It is surrounded by a moat and overlooks a lake and formal gardens designed by the renowned 18th century landscape architect ‘Capability Brown’.
- More information about the hotel can be found on the Coombe Abbey website
- Take a look also at the Coombe Abbey photo album in the UKBGF Flickr account. See also the 2017 UK Open Facebook Album
- For the duration of the tournament we will have exclusive use of a separate adjacent building known as the “Court House”
- The Court House is an elegantly restored tennis clubhouse dating back to 1817
- The playing rooms are on two floors, with lift and stairs, and a separate private bar on the ground floor
- We will also have the use of a separate private room for match-streaming purposes
- Coombe Abbey Hotel is offering special rates for backgammon players attending the 2018 UK Open (see below)
- Easy to reach by car, Coombe Abbey is about 5 miles from the M6/M69 motorway junction
- Car park charges apply to both residents and non-residents, as the car park is operated by a separate company (details below)
- London Euston to Coventry is about one hour by train – Coombe Abbey is a 15 minute cab ride from the station
- Birmingham International Airport to Coombe Abbey is about 30 minutes by car
- East Midlands Airport to Coombe Abbey is about 45 minutes by car
Booking your Accommodation
We have a limited allocation of double and twin rooms at Coombe Abbey for the nights of Friday 31st August and Saturday 1st September 2018, plus a small allocation for Thursday 30th August and Sunday 2nd September after the tournament has finished. The rates shown below are room rates per night, for single occupancy or for two people sharing, and these rates include breakfast. To clarify, the price paid for a room is exactly the same whether there are two occupants or just one.
For double or twin rooms in our allocation the room rate is £125 per night for one or two nights, inclusive of breakfast for one or two persons. This is well below normal room rates for this hotel and, once this allocation has been sold, there may be no more rooms at this price (and of course no guarantee of any further availability at all). Penalty-free cancellation is possible up to Thursday 30th August, so book early to avoid disappointment. Please also note that the car park adjacent to Coombe Abbey is operated by a separate company and this currently costs £5 per 24 hour period, or £2 for a stay of up to 8 hours.
To book your room please call the hotel on +44 (0)24 76 450 450, select option 1 (bedroom bookings) and quote the reference ‘Backgammon’.
Note that there is no penalty for staying at a different hotel, or for commuting to the venue. However a car park charge will apply (see above). Wherever you plan to stay, please also remember to pre-register for the tournament by emailing email@example.com to secure your place, stating whether you are a Masters or Advanced (Intermediate) player. Last year we had 150 players on the Saturday, which is full capacity. You must pre-register for the tournament (no advance payment is required) irrespective of your accommodation arrangements to be sure of inclusion in the draw (subject to places still being available).