For the 5th UK Open we are returning to Coombe Abbey Hotel, Brinklow Rd, Binley, Warwickshire CV3 2AB.
The date of the 5th UK Open is from Friday 31st August to Sunday 2nd September 2018.
Coombe Abbey Hotel
Situated approximately 6 miles to the east of Coventry city centre and railway station, the magnificent Coombe Abbey was originally a Cistercian abbey dating back to the 12th century and is set in 500 acres of parkland. It is surrounded by a moat and overlooks a lake and formal gardens designed by the renowned 18th century landscape architect ‘Capability Brown’.
- More information about the hotel can be found on the Coombe Abbey website
- Take a look also at the Coombe Abbey photo album in the UKBGF Flickr account. See also the 2017 UK Open Facebook Album
- For the duration of the tournament we will have exclusive use of a separate adjacent building known as the “Court House”
- The Court House is an elegantly restored tennis clubhouse dating back to 1817
- The playing rooms are on two floors, with lift and stairs, and there is a private bar on the ground floor
- We will also have the use of a separate private room for match-streaming purposes
- Coombe Abbey Hotel is offering special rates for backgammon players attending the 2018 UK Open (but our allocation is now sold out – see below)
- Easy to reach by car, Coombe Abbey is about 5 miles from the M6/M69 motorway junction
- Car park charges apply to both residents and non-residents, as the car park is operated by a separate company (details below)
- London Euston to Coventry is about one hour by train – Coombe Abbey is a 15 minute cab ride from the station
- Birmingham International Airport to Coombe Abbey is about 30 minutes by car
- East Midlands Airport to Coombe Abbey is about 45 minutes by car
Booking your Accommodation
Updated 16th June 2018
PLEASE NOTE: OUR ALLOCATION OF ROOMS AT COOMBE ABBEY HOTEL FOR THE UK OPEN BACKGAMMON WEEKEND IS NOW SOLD OUT.
Other hotels in the vicinity include:
The Cocked Hat – a pub hotel in Binley Woods, near Coventry, approx a mile and a half away;
The Holiday Inn at Jn 2 of the M6, less than 2 miles away;
Macdonald Ansty Hall set in 8 acres of landscaped gardens, 2.5 miles away;
Doubletree by Hilton, Coventry East (M6 Jn2 – old BIBA hotel), about 2 miles away;
Premier Inn, Coventry East (also near M6 Jn 2), about 2 miles away;
The above suggestions have been picked from search results on a hotels website; they are not recommendations. There are also many guest houses and Airbnb options in the area.
If you wish to call Coombe Abbey for any other reason the number is +44 (0)24 76 450 450.
Note that there is no penalty for staying at a different hotel, or for commuting to the venue. However please note that the car park adjacent to Coombe Abbey is operated by a separate company and charges will apply. Current charges are £5 per 24 hour period, or £2 for a stay of up to 8 hours.
Wherever you plan to stay, you must also pre-register for the tournament by emailing email@example.com to secure your place, stating whether you are a Masters or Advanced (Intermediate) player. See the registration page for more details. Last year we had 150 players on the Saturday, which is full capacity. No advance payment is required but you must pre-register for the tournament irrespective of your accommodation arrangements to be sure of inclusion in the draw (subject to places still being available).